Using checkboxes Quartam Reports for printing

Whether you're using the Standard or Professional Edition of Quartam Reports, this is the place to ask general questions about using this industry-level reporting tool for LiveCode.
NingImport

Post by NingImport » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:30 pm

Posted by Charles61 on October 9, 2009 at 6:12pm

I have run into some problem using groups and checkboxes in Quartam Reports. I could not any solutions in Quartam Reports documentation.

I have a card with 18 checkboxes, which represent recommendations. Which is one of the following is feasible?

1. Can Quartam Reports print only the recommendations that have been checked?

2. Can Quartam Reports print all of the checkboxes but print in bold the checkboxes that have been checked ?

My second problem: I have a first name field, a last name field, grade, school and birth date fields. The fields are grouped into one group named group "info". The group is utilized as a background so they can be used on multiple cards. How do I script to have the group printed in Quartam Reports so they can be printed on one card?

Thanks for your time!

=====

Reply by Charles61 on October 13, 2009 at 8:46pm

I was able to resolve my problems.

=====

Reply by Jan Schenkel on October 14, 2009 at 7:46am

My apologies for the late reply, Charles - I was (foolishly) relying on the RSS feature to tell me if a new post had been placed onto the forum, and for some reason Safari didn't pick it up.

First of all, your reports are simply a different representation of the same data as in your stacks (or any other data source.) So your job as report designer is to provide a layout that the reprt engine can 'pour' the data into. You can use revTalk expressions to determine the content of data fields and whether or not certain report items are to be printed.
Unfortunately, checkboxes are not in the toolbar, so you'll have to mimick them somehow. Two ideas spring to mind: referenced images or some graphics, in either case overlapping and with mutually exclusive printing conditions. As for printing in bold those checkboxes that are checked, again use two overlapping label fields, one in plain and the other in bold text; and apply the same mutually exclusive printing conditions.
See the example 'printing with stacks' for an example of two label fields which are printed based on the 'mark' property of the current card.

Which brings me to the last part of the question: if your stack has multiple cards, you decide which cards are used in the report (see the examples and the manual for different card range options) - the report engine will then go to each card and evaluate the data field expressions and printoing conditions within the context of that card as it builds the report.

Hopefully this clarifies things somewhat - if you have more questions or remarks do not hesitate to contact me.

Best regards,

Jan Schenkel
--
Quartam Reports & PDF Library for Revolution
www.quartam.com
===== The above post was imported from the old forum hosted at quartam.ning.com =====