[Change Request]Alignment Tools

Whether you're using the Standard or Professional Edition of Quartam Reports, this is the place to ask general questions about using this industry-level reporting tool for LiveCode.
NingImport

Post by NingImport » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:01 pm

Posted by Mike Kerner on July 15, 2008 at 4:51pm

Maybe I'm just used to other tools that do things differently, but I've always hated RR's way of doing alignment, namely, that the first object you select gets the priority when you align objects. It would be nice if instead of that (what seems to me to be) counterintuitive behavior, we instead used the alignment tools to align on the extreme element - so if I click the align top button, we align the objects on the topmost object.

The reason this becomes a problem is when you drag over a group of objects, you can frequently not get the topmost object first. So in order to get the objects to align on the topmost object you have to select it, then shift-drag over multiple selections (careful not to unselect the top object) and then use the align top.

=====

Reply by Jan Schenkel on July 15, 2008 at 6:23pm

Check out the section in the manual on the alignment palette: there are keyboard modifiers that allow you to align to the left/top/...-most item.
Obviously I implemented things this way to keep it familiar for Revolution users.

Jan Schenkel
--
Quartam Reports & PDF Library for Revolution
www.quartam.com

=====

Reply by Mike Kerner on July 15, 2008 at 7:53pm

Then might I suggest adding that to the KB shortcuts page in the manual? I read the manual but don't remember that part of it.

=====

Reply by Jan Schenkel on July 15, 2008 at 9:28pm

Hmm, they're not really shortcuts, but modifier keys, and as such don't really belong in the shortcuts page. The behaviour is described on page 93 of the manual - Chapter 11: Alignment palette.
Might be good for a tips-and-tricks section, though.

Jan Schenkel
--
Quartam Reports & PDF Library for Revolution
www.quartam.com
===== The above post was imported from the old forum hosted at quartam.ning.com =====