Show preview into a stack

Whether you're using the Standard or Professional Edition of Quartam Reports, this is the place to ask general questions about using this industry-level reporting tool for LiveCode.
NingImport

Post by NingImport » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:35 pm

Posted by Josep M on January 29, 2010 at 9:01pm

Hi,

Is posible to show the preview into a stack?
And in a reduced size? Like a miniature?

Salut,
Josep

=====

Reply by Jan Schenkel on February 1, 2010 at 9:38pm
Send Message
Delete
Hi Josep,

There is currently no such option available, or even planned. Back when the library was in development, I asked the alpha test team if they wanted such a feature, and no one was interested, preferring to use the built-in preview window (which can be a toplevel, modeless, modal or palette window)

What is the underlying use case for adding this option? Is it merely because the preview window lacks features or doesn't integrate well with the rest of your app's look-and-feel?
Or if you're not looking for a replacement but rather a complementary feature, would this only be a miniature preview of the first page, or should the user be able to flip through the pages?

Jan Schenkel
--
Quartam Reports & PDF Library for Revolution
www.quartam.com

=====

Reply by Josep M on February 1, 2010 at 10:05pm

Hi Jan,

My idea is complementary to the existing preview window. Will be showed as miniature into the stack, imagine that you have a datagrid where each record are invoices or notes, selecting one record the miniature are showed at side, not floating. The look and feel of the window can't be modified, in my case I use a background, colors so the preview window is very different comparing to the application.
Other interesting thing is the posibility of translate the strings that appear in the preview window.

TIA,
Josep

=====

Reply by Jan Schenkel on February 2, 2010 at 6:25am

Hi Josep,

I can see the use case for it now, but it isn't necessarily straightforward to implement. A couple of things to ponder, not just for your particular situation, but to make it re-usable for others - after all, how would you obtain such a thumbnail for your user interface?
- should I add a new set of commands or extend the existing qrtReports_PrintReportXYZ commands?
- would the preview image be written to disk or directly to an image control?
- would this be a one-shot generation of just the first page, or should the user have the ability to flip through pages?

Jan Schenkel
--
Quartam Reports & PDF Library for Revolution
www.quartam.com
===== The above post was imported from the old forum hosted at quartam.ning.com =====