[BUG]Moving a Section Line Down Causes Objects To Jump Secti

Whether you're using the Standard or Professional Edition of Quartam Reports, this is the place to ask general questions about using this industry-level reporting tool for LiveCode.
NingImport

[BUG]Moving a Section Line Down Causes Objects To Jump Secti

Post by NingImport » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:11 pm

[BUG]Moving a Section Line Down Causes Objects To Jump Sections

Posted by Mike Kerner on July 26, 2008 at 12:26am

I am trying to get this fit-to-page issue resolved. In the latest attempt, I'm moving the Scrap area down. When I did that, though, several objects in the Detail wound up in the Header (NOTE: This sometimes also happens when you shrink a page size), but they don't look like it until you try to grab them. At that point they jump bands. Of course, trying to cut and paste these objects results in them APPEARING to be in the correct band, but as soon as you select the object and another one in the band that you've relocated them to, you can't because...they aren't really in that band.

=====

Reply by Jan Schenkel on July 28, 2008 at 10:15pm

The main problem is that they've ended up in the wrong band at some point in the past. While I've been working hard to ensure this doesn't happen again, I'm confronted with a dilemma on how to handle existing files with such items in version 1.1.2 and higher:
- should I enlarge the bands and move everything down to fit into its proper band?
- or, should I try and apply a heuristic about moving 'alien' items into the band they have ended up in?
- or, should I move all 'alien' items into the scrap band for the user to move to their correct location?
Which do you think is right, or can you suggest another, better solution?

Thanks in advance for your feedback,

Jan Schenkel.
--
Quartam Reports & PDF Library for Revolution
www.quartam.com

=====

Reply by Mike Kerner on July 28, 2008 at 10:44pm

If I understand this correctly, what you're saying is that the items (somehow) already ended up in the wrong band, so when moving the band, you're essentially just indicating that?

If that's the case then I would suggest alternative 4: If an object has coordinates that place it in the wrong band (negative y, or y beyond the bound of the band), warn the developer when the report opens in the editor. Visually, I can't tell that something has magically wound up in the wrong band until I find out like this.

So, you COULD try to be extra helpful with one of your suggestions, or you could toss up an alert for the user that the form is "corrupted" and list the objects that are fubar. Personally, if you've figured out why this happens in the first place I'd go with the quickest-to-implement route and move on to one of my other issues, since as we all know, mine are more important than anyone else's.
===== The above post was imported from the old forum hosted at quartam.ning.com =====