Suppress Print Dialogs

Whether you're using the Standard or Professional Edition of Quartam Reports, this is the place to ask general questions about using this industry-level reporting tool for LiveCode.
NingImport

Suppress Print Dialogs

Post by NingImport » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:09 pm

Suppress Print Dialogs

Posted by Mike Kerner on July 25, 2008 at 10:20pm

Jan,
I would like to suppress the print dialogs when I print several different reports in a row. In addition, I would like to only occasionally pop up the page setup dialog, not every time I print a report, especially since the application I'm working on is printing all the time.

Suggestions?

=====

Reply by Jan Schenkel on July 28, 2008 at 10:03pm

Unfortunately, 'compound' reports are difficult to implement correctly, as they come with their own set of potential pitfalls (mixed paper sizes and orientations, for starters) - and I have been thinking more along the lines of 'hierarchical' reports.
Hierarchical reports would have a tree-like structure, rather than a straightforward set of nested bands. But they're still a while off, as I have a good number of more pressing enhancement features to implement, and I want to do them right.
As Revolution only introduced a number of necessary features in Revolution 2.9, and I still have customers using Revolution 2.6 or 2.7, I can't just hook my wagon onto version 2.9 - which means, among other things, that I have no choice but to show the page setup dialogs every time.
Naturally, the best solution would be to save the printer settings into the layout file somehow. But this gets complicated when your end-user has a different printer than you - and you would probably need some feature to save layout files with an adapted printer setting.
Well, that's my current line of thinking - obviously, I have to mull this over quite a bit more before I can commit to any changes in this regard.

Jan Schenkel
--
Quartam Reports & PDF Library for Revolution
www.quartam.com

=====

Reply by Mike Kerner on July 28, 2008 at 10:36pm

This is bad news, because printing eight or ten reports in a row with two (unnecessary) dialogs per trip is going to be annoying.
===== The above post was imported from the old forum hosted at quartam.ning.com =====