Margins - what is the effect?

Whether you're using the Standard or Professional Edition of Quartam Reports, this is the place to ask general questions about using this industry-level reporting tool for LiveCode.
NingImport

Post by NingImport » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:54 pm

Posted by Mike Kerner on July 15, 2008 at 3:59pm

I set 15px margins in a side, but the rulers didn't change, and the rectangle for the report doesn't appear to have shrunk either. So, how are margins implemented?

=====

Reply by Jan Schenkel on July 15, 2008 at 8:55pm

Until the Revolution crew significantly improved printing capabilities in version 2.9, developers had very little control over the actual output. You had no control over what the end user would do once presented with a page setup or print dialog box. As I aim for compatibility with older versions of Revolution, I can't just go ahead and overhaul it. Probably, Quartam Reports version 2.0 will require Revolution 2.9 or higher.

Long story short, what the margins setting does, is help determine if a print scale needs to be applied. For instance, if you designed your report to be A4, and the user decides to print it onto a US Letter size, the engine ensures that the printout is scaled to fit onto this paper while preserving the relative size. However, if the user decides to print onto an A3 paper size, no scaling is applied.

Hope this clarified it,

Jan Schenkel.
--
Quartam Reports & PDF Library for Revolution
www.quartam.com
===== The above post was imported from the old forum hosted at quartam.ning.com =====